Before earning your real estate license, you are likely focused on enrolling in a real estate school and studying for your state exam. While those are certainly important, there are a few things you should be doing to ensure you’re ready to succeed as soon as you are a licensed agent. Being well-prepared is key and there’s no reason why you cannot being your preparation today, even before you’re licensed.
Create Your Sphere of Influence List
The most important factor to your success as a real estate agent is getting your name in front of as many people as possible. Real estate is a game of numbers. The more people that know you are an agent, the more opportunities you will have to secure listings and get sales. Start making a list today of everyone that you know, even if they’re merely an acquaintance. Use this guide to help you begin brainstorming for people you know:
- Your family. Even if your family is all over the country, add them to the list. Referral income can be huge so everyone matters, regardless of their location.
- Your circle of friends. Your friends will be your biggest supporters when you’re a licensed real estate agent.
- Friends of Friends. This is an important group. Imagine you were throwing a party and you told your friends to invite their friends. Who in that group do you know that might come?
- Professional Contacts. Have you been using the same hair dresser, dentist or doctor long enough that she may know you by name? Add her (and possibly her staff) to your list!
- The parents of your children’s friends. You may not be friends with all of them but there is a high likelihood that they know you by name. Does your child play on a sports team, take dance lessons, or go to a daycare where you see the same adults routinely? It’s time to get to know them!
When you’re just beginning your list, set a goal to have 100 people on your sphere of influence list. That will build you a good foundation to begin. At this point, be sure to add every new person you meet to your sphere of influence list.
Read The Best Two Real Estate Books Available
It’s important to know that the real estate exam does not teach you to sell real estate! For the marketing side of things, you’re going to have to educate yourself. These two books tell you exactly what steps to take to get listings and sell real estate.
The Honest Real Estate Agent: A Training Guide For a Successful First Year and Beyond as a Real Estate Agent
The Honest Real Estate Agent is a must-read for any agent-to-be. This book fills in the details that real estate schools do not teach. You will learn methods of attracting new clients and securing listings and sales. The book is modern and focuses on strategies such as social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) instead of old techniques like cold calling.
The Millionaire Real Estate Agent: It’s Not About The Money… It’s About Being the Best You Can Be!
The Millionaire Real Estate Agent is phenomenal for new agents as it teaches you to “maximize one’s personal resources.” We all know people, have unique abilities and skills and this book will teach you how to put those traits to use to sell real estate.
Register For A Real Estate Course
Take our advice–stop thinking about a real estate license and start working towards getting a real estate license! Read our guide to getting a real estate license in your state. You will need to decide if you’d like to take a course in person or online. Either way, it is time to register and begin the fantastic journey towards being a licensed real estate agent!